Collection & Use
AFS is committed to providing you with information about the collection and use of PII furnished by, or collected from, visitors while using our websites, products and services. It is our practice not to ask you for information unless we need it or intend to use it. Some of the primary purposes for requesting and collecting your PII are as follows:
- providing our services (online and in the real world), such as addressing an inquiry or processing an application(e.g., when Participants are filling out an application, fulfilling a request for information, or completing a request for services), arranging program placement (e.g. select host families and schools), facilitating and managing a Participant’s involvement in a program, administering scholarships, and working with Network Organizations, sponsors, and service providers toward that end
- marketing and communications with you in relation to the services offered by AFS, and by other trusted third parties
- conducting fundraising campaigns
- performing research via surveys, questionnaires and reviews to better serve your needs, improve the effectiveness of our websites, your experience, our various types of communications, campaigns, and/or promotional activities
- alumni engagement and other outreach activities, to keep you informed about and involved with AFS activities, (such as campaigns, conferences, publications, recruitment of host families and volunteers, new programs and services).
We retain your PII for periods reasonably necessary to provide our services and outreaching activities. You may opt out of our emails, newsletters, and AFS surveys and reviews at any time by clicking on the link included in such communications, or by contacting us directly to opt out. You will always be offered the choice not to submit your PII or to decide what communications you want to receive from us. However, doing so may cause certain transactions to become affected. For example, not providing required information such as a name will prevent the processing of an application.
Processing and Disclosure
In addition, other situations in which AFS may disclose your information to others include:
- when we have received your consent to do so
- in situations where sharing or disclosing your information is required in order to offer you services you desire (e.g., a volunteer or program opportunity, a sweepstakes or promotion)
- when companies or service providers that perform business activities on behalf of AFS require such information (e.g., credit card processing, customer support services, market research administration or database management services)
- in the event AFS is merged with or acquired by another company
- to comply with legal or regulatory requirements or obligations in accordance with applicable law, a court order or a subpoena
- in case of emergency such as to safeguard the life, health, or property of an individual
If information is shared as mentioned above, we seek to limit recipients and the scope of information that is furnished to only the amount necessary for the performance of the specific function. Unless otherwise precluded by legal process, we require third parties to protect your PII and abide by applicable privacy laws and regulations.
We sometimes use and share non-personally identifiable information that we collect to maintain the services we offer online, improve the design and content of our sites, to enable us to personalize your experience, analyze trends, gather broad demographic information, conduct research, administer the sites, and strengthen our marketing and branding efforts.
AFS World Café & Find an AFSer
The AFS World Café [woca.afs.org](and the Find an AFSer function therein) are intended to help members of the AFS community find each other, connect, and collaborate beyond borders on topics of common interest, and thus engage together in promoting the AFS mission. The AFS World Café is built on the Telligent Community ® platform, which contains social community functionality, such as blogs, forums, blogs, ideation, friending, media gallery, status updates, and more.
We ask that you use good judgment and discretion when sending messages to other members of the community. Please do not use information found here for the purpose of commercial promotion of any kind. AFS does not bear any responsibility for any actions or policies of third parties. However, when you voluntarily disclose PII in such forums (such as your first and last name, e-mail address etc.) within the World Café, Find an AFSer or the AFS Mail Lists, that information can be collected and used by others and may result in unsolicited messages from other users. AFS is not responsible for who may contact you by using this information. All registrations in the AFS World Café are voluntary. The only individuals listed in Find an AFSer are those who have registered themselves in the AFS World Café. AFS does not add individuals to the database, therefore if you do not find your AFS friends it is because they have not registered themselves. By uploading information to the AFS World Café (images, videos, text), you agree that AFS may use the content to promote its mission and activities, including improving the experience of AFS World Café users. By accessing the AFS World Café you agree to comply with its Community Guidelines.